Monday, May 21, 2012

Smoke 'Em While You Got 'Em

A few blog posts back, I wrote about my thoughts on smoking while I was in Amsterdam. I expressed my apathy regarding if I smoked or didn't smoke while visiting.

Well, of course...I smoked. Some kind of hash joint mixed with weed. It was nice. I had just finished having about 4 or 5 Heinekens on top of two shots of fruit infused Jenever - a traditional Dutch liquor that is similar to gin, but tastes more like vodka to me. I was feeling pretty, pretty good. Truth be told, I'm glad I did it. As I walked around the Red Light District with my happy buzz, I felt like I had really completed the whole Amsterdam experience.

Now, I am very glad I did it, as it seems that there will be a ban on tourists being able to smoke starting January 2013. Or at least there will try to be...there is still a final appeal to be made to the supreme court, so I have read.

Netherlands Bans Pot For Foreigners

A quick Google search turns up many, many articles discussing the enforcement of a new law banning everyone but Dutch residents from access to coffee shops. The locals would be issued a "pass" that lets them into the shops, and everyone else would be turned away. This ban has already started in areas south of Amsterdam, where apparently there has been a lot of drug related crime. The rest of the country has until January before the law would take full effect.

This was a topic of discussion on my trip. The locals we talked to didn't seem too worried. They told us that this has been attempted before - and it never works out. They seem to think it would be something that would not really be enforced, if passed - at least not in Amsterdam.

It seems ridiculous to me. I can only imagine how much revenue Amsterdam makes from tourists visiting just coffee shops alone. To take that revenue away seems like a foolish idea, seeing as their economy is not doing too well as it is. Also, I really don't see this ban stopping anyone who really wants to smoke from smoking. It simply makes the Dutch resident a middle man. I don't think it is going to drastically reduce any crime, either.

I guess all there is to do is wait and see how this all pans out...but I am definitely glad I chose to smoke while I was there.

No comments:

Post a Comment