Friday, June 1, 2012

Veneration of the Crown of Thorns

There was another rare, or rather, little known experience I got to have on my trip to Europe. I got to see the "Crown of Thorns" up close and personal at Notre Dame Cathedral.

For those that might not know what the Crown of Thorns is, let me enlighten you. Being raised in an extremely Catholic family, I feel I am more than qualified to do so! The Crown of Thorns was an instrument of torture and mockery that was placed on Jesus Christ's head by soldiers before he was crucified. The soldiers did this to mock the claims of Jesus that he was the "King of the Jews". It is basically a bunch of canes woven together in a circle, held together with gold threads, with many thorns attached to the crown. (At least that is what Notre Dame says it is.)

The Veneration of the Crown of Thorns takes place at Notre Dame Cathedral the first Friday of each month, for only a couple hours. The exception to this is during lent, when the Crown of Thorns is on display every Friday leading up to Easter. On Good Friday the crown is displayed from 10am to 5pm.

Of all the relics that Notre Dame has (a piece of the cross that Jesus was crucified on, and a nail that was used to nail him to the cross) The crown of thorns is considered the "most precious and most revered". Now, I am not a practicing Catholic anymore. I am not a practicing anything, as I don't believe in organized religion or the Christian idea of God, but it was an amazing opportunity to see this relic, because it is a part of history... A pretty BIG part of history. The funny part is, the Crown of Thorns has undergone a lot of studies and research, but it's authenticity can not be certified. The argument of its authenticity and the places this crown has been has spanned over 16 centuries and many different countries, and that is where the history part comes in...

In the year 409, Saint Paulinus of Nola makes mention of the crown being a relic kept in the basilica on Mount Zion in Jerusalem. There are accounts of it being seen again at the basilica at Mount Zion by Anthony the Martyr in 570. Between the 7th and 10th centuries the relic was moved to the Byzantine Emperors Chapel in Constantinople, to keep it safe from pillaging. By 1238 Latin Emperor Baldwin of Constantinople pawned the crown and other relics to a Venetian bank to get credit. Go figure.
Saint Louis, King of France paid back the Venetians in 1239 and brought the crown and other relics, back to France.
During the French Revolution,  the relics were kept at the national library.
In 1801, they were given back to the archbishop of Paris, where they were placed in the Cathedral Treasury. They are still kept there today. These relics have been protected by the canons of the Metropolitan Basilica Chapter, who are in charge of venerations. They are guarded by the Knights of the Order of the Holy Sepulchre of Jerusalem. This has been the way since being placed in the Cathedral Treasury.

So, as you can see, Catholic or not, the Crown of Thorns has some amazing history, and is something very special to view in person. Not only did we get to view it, but we got to go up to it and...umm...kiss it. Yeah, kiss it.

We went to Notre Dame on Good Friday, and we had expected to stand in line for a quite a while to see this stupendous relic - but the line moved fast, and before we knew it we were shuffling right along, up the center of Notre Dame Cathedral, heading for the altar. I was wondering what I was going to do about taking a picture of it, since it seemed disrespectful. Luckily my decision was made for me by a very stern and authoritative man behind me who berated me and anyone he saw with a camera, his thick French accent barking out the order "NO PHOTOS!" Since he was dressed in some military outfit and was most likely the equivalent of a U.S. Navy Seal, I complied. He was the ONLY French person I met on my trip that was less than cordial and pleasant. It didn't matter anyway though, once amongst the few people at the front of the line, you were directed by many fancy looking religious men up to the crown. It all happened so quick, however, it also happened in slow motion because I was a little freaked out about having to kiss something that about a trillion and a half other people have kissed. They wipe the crown with a cloth after every person, and they say the cloth is soaked in alcohol...but I just didn't want to take that risk. I panicked and really didn't know what I was going to do until the final moment when I was face to face with this most historic of relics...it sat on an extravagant plush red pillow, just taunting me - and in that final moment of do or die, I went for it. I bent down and pretended to kiss the crown. No actual contact made. The crown wiper guy did his crown wiping thing - everyone was a winner. Nobody suspected a thing. What a relief. I watched as my friend Nancy also pulled the fake kiss trick, and it was all I could do to keep from bursting out laughing in the middle of Notre Dame Cathedral. She is Jewish...but after that very Catholic ordeal she referred to herself as "Catholish".

I will keep this experience in my arsenal of random facts about me..not everyone can claim that they have kissed the Crown of Thorns! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment