Friday, June 22, 2012

I Love Paris : The Eiffel Tower




Paris. I have been thinking about this amazing city a lot since returning from my trip. It truly is beautiful. It truly is the perfect place for those with a joie de vivre. As both an artist/musician I feel I had no other fate than to fall in love with Paris. Every hidden corner, every side street, every boulangerie or pâtisserie, every cafe, every restaurant, every shop, every last place you find yourself in is full of beauty and art, it's inescapable, it's wonderful - it's love.
 
 I remember driving in to Paris - I kept scanning the horizon for a glimpse of that icon, that tower amongst towers, one of the most well known structures that was ever built or ever will be built,  the emblem of France, of Paris - The Eiffel Tower. Was I really going to be seeing this in person? This is something I had actually dreamed about in my sleep, something that I knew had to be done someday, something that I have always wanted...and this was the day. It was really happening. I would be in Paris looking at the Eiffel Tower today.

Then...I saw it. Faint and misty on the horizon, like some majestic shroud had been draped over it, giving it a mysterious and powerful effect as it stood so lofty above the rest of the city, above the rest of the world it seemed. I literally gasped upon that very first glance. This was surreal. In fact, it stayed surreal. Every famous sight that I had always seen in books or on television, now in front of me, just seemed a dream. It was enchanting.

 Standing in TrocadĂ©ro square at night at the top of the hour, just as the Eiffel tower started to sparkle, and the crowd that was gathered collectively gasped their approval in awe, was one of my favorite and most magical moments. I could have stood there watching forever and would have been perfectly happy. But alas, I had to eventually be pulled away to see some other breathtaking sights that the city of lights had to offer. If I had to put a conservative estimate on what percentage of Paris pictures that I took were of the Eiffel tower, I would have to say it would probably be about 50%. My obsession was THAT ridiculous. I could not stop taking pictures of the Eiffel tower in every light, angle, and setting possible. I think one of my favorite views/and pictures was the one I put at the top of this post - from the top of the Arc de Triomphe.   Europe Pictures 2012  < This is a link to my Europe 2012 album. It is just a jumble of some pictures of my entire trip to Europe. Some are unedited, and some are edited. They are kind of in order - the order starts over once or twice, though. It is just a fraction of the pictures I took, but I think there is enough there. As hard as it was, I tried to limit the number of Eiffel Tower pictures I put up. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment