Saturday, August 3, 2013

Current Playlist

I used to be a metal chick. When I was in high school (not middle school where I was labeled a "headbanger" for listening to the likes of Alice in Chains and Nirvana, etc.) I was big, big into metal. I even had my own metal band. I always compared that band to Ministry, in that it initially consisted of only two people: My friend Meaghan, growling out meaningful, dark and twisted lyrics...and myself, growling out dark, distorted guitar riffs in between strategically placed palm mutes- laced with our own unique brand of teenage angst. We called ourselves Stigmata, until we realized that name had already been taken. I loved that band. But I digress. These days, though I do enjoy a good metal song or two, I really have to be in the mood. So I have been apprehensive about listening to Opeth.

Last week someone had suggested that I listen to an album by them called Damnation. Here it is, a week later, and I decided to give it a spin. I've already listened to it all the way through twice. Ready to go for a third. I'm in.

On another note, I saw The Aristocrats  live this past Tuesday at Berklee and had my face melted. I went by myself (which I enjoy doing) and was just blown away the whole night by the level of musicianship this power trio had. Talent on top of talent. Besides Guthrie Govan's incredible shredding and Bryan Beller's ridiculous bass, the highlight for me had to be  when Marco Minnemann did a 6 minute long drum solo that was simply mesmerizing and unbelievable. So glad to have witnessed that show.


Playlist:
Opeth - Damnation
Phish - Live streaming of summer tour 2013
Steven Wilson - Too much to list on this blog
Ministry - Incase You Didn't Feel Like Showing Up
At the Drive In - Various albums
King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King
The Aristocrats - Culture Clash






No comments:

Post a Comment