Wednesday, March 7, 2012

The Soundtrack to a Trip

It is said that of the five senses, smell is the sense that triggers a person's memory the most. I do not believe that is true for me. For me, it is sound - music. I can tell you what year and exactly what I was doing/feeling simply from hearing a song. I can get a mental image, a clear and concise flash of the moment I was in.  As far back as my memory takes me - there is music there to trigger it.

When I am in the car, pretty much anytime I turn Sirius to "90's on 9" I have a blast. Every song that comes on evokes a different memory for me - school dances, jr high, summertime, crushes, high school, friends...it's like hopping into a time machine, I love the nostalgia.

By far the most vivid music based  memories I have are related to major trips that I have taken. My first trip to Italy and Sicily when I was 12 was dominated by Guns n' Roses. "The Spaghetti Incident" had just come out and I remember going to a record store just outside of the Trevi Fountain to purchase it. There was also Nirvana, who was in Rome promoting their last studio album "In Utero."


My next trip to Italy and Sicily when I was 14 was mostly a soundtrack of The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's to be exact. With a little Sam Black Church and Tree mixed in here and there (random, I know). There was also an Italian club mix that reminds me of hanging out with my cousins down by the beach - "The Summer is Crazy"  and the hilarious Italian rap song "Tranqi Funky."



My last trip to Italy was mostly a Tori Amos soundtrack - " To Venus and Back". Listening to any song off  that album immediately reminds me of rolling Italian country side as seen from my window on the tour bus.

Las Vegas reminds me of TOOL. Mexico reminds me of a different Tori Amos album - "From the Choirgirl Hotel." And my very first trip to Key West reminds me of Pink Floyd, especially "Us and Them."

So, as you can see, the soundtrack to a trip is very important (for me, anyway). With that in mind, I have been planning what music I want to listen to on this upcoming voyage. I know there will be various Steven Wilson and Porcupine Tree, since I have been infatuated with Steven Wilson and his music for a while now. I know there will be Pink Floyd, Beatles and TOOL.
I have been thinking of what other music will make the cut for this trip, but haven't completely decided on any other artists, yet.

I can't wait to add some musical memories on my fourth trip to Europe!

No comments:

Post a Comment