Friday, July 20, 2012

Songs Are Like Tattoos....


Joni Mitchell - Blue

Blue songs are like tattoos
You know I've been to sea before
Crown and anchor me
Or let me sail away
Hey Blue, here is a song for you
Ink on a pin
Underneath the skin
An empty space to fill in
Well there're so many sinking now
You've got to keep thinking
You can make it thru these waves
Acid, booze, and ass
Needles, guns, and grass
Lots of laughs, lots of laughs
Everybody's saying that hell's the hippest way to go
Well I don't think so
But I'm gonna take a look around it though
Blue I love you
Blue here is a shell for you
Inside you'll hear a sigh
A foggy lullaby
There is your song from me


So, I have always loved Joni Mitchell. But you know those moments when you are in just the right mood and a song comes on that hits you right in your soul and connects you to that song/artist much more intimately than it had before? Well, I had one of those moments a while ago. Court & Spark came on in the car, and it immediately filled me with overwhelming emotion in the short 2:54 moments that it consists of. Just such amazing lyrics and musical composition. I have been on a Joni binge ever since.

My latest song obsession is "Blue." My god. Could that song be any more sadly beautiful? I'm going to go ahead and say no. I listen to it over and over again, like I usually do with songs I fall in love with (I'm looking at you - "Roulette Dares (the Haunt of)". )
Even more soul wrenching is what happened when I knew it well enough to sing it. Singing those notes - it is an amazing experience. I am addicted to that as well. When I get to the part "Blue, I love you," I feel like it's me who is baring my soul. Maybe I am. It just has that impact. It's very cathartic. It makes me feel fortunate that I am able to experience those notes - as we all know how there are many people who are not able to sing, or sing in key!

Anyway, I just thought I would get this all out since I have been on such a Joni kick lately. She is such an amazingly talented singer/songwriter. I am just continually blown away by her. I love when that happens. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment