Sunday, January 15, 2012

Thoughts About Amsterdam

Now I know I am officially old. Everytime someone finds out that one of the countries I am visiting will be Holland...more specifically that one of my main stops in Holland will be Amsterdam, the first thing they inquire about is if I plan on smoking weed, since it is legal to smoke in the coffee shops and all. My lame answer? "I don't know...maybe."

Young Jeanine wants to kick my ass. Who would go to Amsterdam without the number one intention of smoking it up? Old, fuddy duddy, post 20's Jeanine, I guess. I am much more interested in the architecture, the history, the culture, the food. I am very curious to try some Indonesian cuisine. I am also making it a point to try "Stroopwafels" which is supposedly two very thin waffle like layers stuck together with some super delicious, really bad for you, sugary sweet gooey goodness. That is at the top of my "food I need to try there" list.

I also love the fact that Amsterdam is similar to Venice- my favorite city in the world. I am eager to see if it can even remotely rival the charm of the amazingly beautiful "Queen of the Adriatic", but I seriously doubt it.
You know, now that I think about it, I also have no desire to wander into the red light district. At all. It kind of scares me actually!But I digress...More than just Amsterdam, I can't wait to see the windmills and the country side and hopefully...the tulips! And I am totally planning on buying some wooden shoes. I have wanted a pair since I was a toddler and watched Shirley Temple clog dance her little child star ass off in the movie "Heidi."

So there are my thoughts on visiting Holland. If I smoke, I smoke. (It is not even really, really legal there...there are some very strange laws regarding the smoking and distribution of marijuana.) If I don't smoke, it is no big deal. I am more interested in the country itself.
 Don't even get me started on how much I want to see and do and taste in France...and Belgium! This should certainly be an amazing trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment