Thursday, August 13, 2009

An old post from 2007 about my trip to a John Lennon Exhibit I originally titled; "Half of What I Say is Meaningless..."








Saturday 2/10/07

Today Jay and I went to see the art work of John Lennon on exhibit in Delray Beach, entitled "All You Need is Love".

What it was, was many different drawings and works that Lennon himself had done; limited edition lithographs and serigraphs etc... that were being sold - and about 6 ORIGINAL works from Lennon - that obviously, were not for sale.

I can't begin to express how grateful, and inspired, and privileged I felt to be able to see original (and even reproductions) of works from this man I hold in such high artistic regard... in person. It was absolutely spiritual.


As you looked at each individual picture, there was a caption off to the side with information about the artwork or the story behind the picture. Each work had so much meaning in it. That man put so much insight and hope and revelation and spirit into EVERYTHING he did to express himself...be it music or drawing, or "bagism" or a "bed in" or whatever unique way he chose to express his feelings. It was just amazing. The exhibit also had (reproductions) of original copies of his lyrics for most of the greatest songs he ever wrote.

Just to make it even more special; they had Beatles and solo (Lennon) music playing as you walked through the many "walls" of Lennon's art. I have to admit, there were certain points where looking at a particular work, and hearing that genius music did make me teary eyed... a few times. It just seems (for me at least) that there are so few people with talent and vision and strong personal beliefs, and such open, honest, raw emotion to get into these days. It just got to me.


Looking upon the actual original works that were on display, kind of made Lennon come alive to me, if even for a mere moment. It was so real, so everyday, so - you and me, jot this down on paper real. It made me feel as close as I can ever come to actually seeing or meeting him. It was just an honor to me, to be able to be so close to something this legend had created.

I left the exhibit feeling fulfilled. Peaceful. Truly happy. It really was spiritual for me, and it made my day. As I walked along with Jay I realized what a gorgeous, perfect day it was; blue skies, not too cold not too hot...just *perfect*. I saw a butterfly...in FEBRUARY!! I just felt more at peace then i have been in a long time. Since coming back home I have been inspired to do some art of my own again....something that I had not done for at least a year, maybe more.- just another reason I'm so glad I got to take part in this today.


So, that's all. I had to go on a rant for a little bit, simply because I could not keep this happy feeling to myself. (I'm sure most of you know how cynical I can be sometimes ;)) And I want to remember this feeling - because I'm sure it will be fleeting...and have it to reflect upon.
So now I'm going to bed. Satisfied. Happy, and inspired.
Great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment